Tuesday 25 January 2011

Thinking it through

When you are training a young dog, unless you have one trainer whom you totally trust, and you ignore all the advice which is offered freely by well meaning friends and aquainances! a lot of trial and error comes into play. With Ruperts training I wanted to "get it right" an expression I hear a lot when someone gets a new dog to train. Is there such a thing as "Getting it right"? which is where thinking it through has come into play quite a lot recently, The See Saw for example, and now the weaves, I was determined to train the 2x2 Susan Garett method, I purchased the DVD, watched it over and over, made notes and even had Steve make me some very nice 2x2 sets, but in reality it didn't seem right for Rupert and I, and we have now gone on to Swivel channel weaves and are making great progress, we are still at the widest setting and are currently working our war around the clock face, and have decided to use a wing wrap at the start, my only problem is that at the beginning I used the command GO to send him through the channel to his toy, I now want to change that for Weave which will be the command I use in the future but this seems to have confused him a little so tomorrow I will use GO Weave and then eventually drop the GO word.
Last thursday Ruperts Breeder Sheila and I took him to have his Hips X-rayed, when the plate came back the vet seemed very happy with the reult so now we just have to wait for the BVA to send the score back, fingers crossed we should be getting very good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment