Thursday 9 September 2010

Updates

So Rupert is now fast approaching 8 1/2 months old, where has the time gone? over the past few weeks we have minimised training session in obedience and Agility in exchange for a few lifestyle lessons! as he approaches adulthood he has decided to test his boundaries a little, I first noticed it at dashing dogs where he became very territorial in our temporary garden, getting quite aggressive towards any dog who entered, he has also started at our training field to show the same signs, but only with the entire male dogs, Luckily he soon backs down once I tell him this is not appropriate behavior, so hopefully he will grow out of it in the future, apart from that he is turning into a very happy chap, not phased by anything or anyone he meets. Last night we began training with our new invention Le Hoop, this is basically a square shaped hoop that stands on the ground, I began by shaping him through it until he was eagerly running freely backwards and forwards, I then placed it at the end of one of the dog walk planks while it was on the floor, and again he was happily racing along the plank and through the hoop, so this is the basics of running contacts! (all seems a bit easy at the moment) I had also put a small course of jumps out with the poles only one end up on small height 4 jumps in a line with a star at the top, and whilst I can leave him on the start get to jump 4, release him, negotiate the star and an "In" I am unable to run fast enough to get to the last jump where he turns to see where I've got to, thus the need for a "Go On" command and the confidence from him to use it.
I'm really loving training this dog, with every session there is an obvious progression programme that follows, I really can't wait for our winter training to begin with Jo and I promise to get many more pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment