Thursday 29 July 2010

Moving On or should I say Off

So to follow on from my last post.... last night Rupert and I trained in the paddock, there were quite a few distractions but he remained committed the whole time and really felt like we had made some great progress, I now have lovely committed forward heelwork!! Hoooraaayyy, He really seems to be getting a buzz out of it to which really suprises me, who would have thought he could get excited about heelwork? so I'm guessing my aim to keep the pressure off is working a treat. Now on to my next problem! Keeping Rupert motivated and happy in his work is easy, especially if I have a treat in my left hand, but as soon as I ask for the postion without a treat he plays ignorance, looks away really anything other than getting into postion - I could at this stage have a word in his ear just to remind him he is supposed to do it because I've asked him, not just becase he can smell the treat! but I have decided for now to backtrack and retrain him in a slightly different way, so today I have started to stand with my hand flat against my hip request the "Close" postion and click when he offers it throwing the treat forward with my other hand - I'm sure to some of you this would have been an obvious way to start with, but Rupert is my first mainly clicker trained dog so I am still using a mixture of my old motivational style techniques together with the clicker which I am only now seeing some flaws with, I may have got away with it with another dog, but Rupert and I are learning together what works for us as a team. So this morning after only 3 or 4 attempts he was eagerly offering the position while the treat was in the other hand, I am hoping to progress this over the next few sessions with the aim having the treats in the pot on the table rather than actually carrying them at all, once I have reached this stage he can have a week off and enjoy a bit more agility training.

No comments:

Post a Comment